Free State of /K/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land vehicles

+7
Canadian Empire
imonaboat
Oderint Dum Metuant
HJH1990
Pendrake
GnuTrip
Admin
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Land vehicles - Page 3 Empty Re: Land vehicles

Post  ZeeX10 Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:44 pm

I'd rather a mount in the bed instead of on a roll bar because if you ever have an enemy behind you you're pretty much fucked until the driver can turn around. All it really needs to be is a pipe secured to the bed then a mount on the machine gun with a pipe small enough to fit in the bed pipe but not so loose that it shakes and moves too much since the recoil of the machine gun will be enough to deal with.

Here's a over 9000 hours drawing. The mount on the machine gun would be similar to what the Ma Deuce has so elevation can be changed too.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ZeeX10
ZeeX10

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:49 pm

ZeeX10 wrote:I'd rather a mount in the bed instead of on a roll bar because if you ever have an enemy behind you you're pretty much fucked until the driver can turn around. All it really needs to be is a pipe secured to the bed then a mount on the machine gun with a pipe small enough to fit in the bed pipe but not so loose that it shakes and moves too much since the recoil of the machine gun will be enough to deal with.

Here's a over 9000 hours drawing. The mount on the machine gun would be similar to what the Ma Deuce has so elevation can be changed too.
Only problem I see is the MG cant move up and or down. Need some sort of 4 or 2 point joint.

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  imonaboat Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:50 pm

ZeeX10 wrote:I'd rather a mount in the bed instead of on a roll bar because if you ever have an enemy behind you you're pretty much fucked until the driver can turn around. All it really needs to be is a pipe secured to the bed then a mount on the machine gun with a pipe small enough to fit in the bed pipe but not so loose that it shakes and moves too much since the recoil of the machine gun will be enough to deal with.

that's the best way to go but we will also need to carry troops in those trucks so we need to devolop a configuration other than everyone lie down on the floor
imonaboat
imonaboat

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeeX10 Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Canadian Empire wrote:Only problem I see is the MG cant move up and or down. Need some sort of 4 or 2 point joint.

Like I said the gun itself will have a "cradle" similar to what the Ma Deuce uses now for elevation change.

imonaboat wrote: that's the best way to go but we will also need to carry troops in those trucks so we need to devolop a configuration other than everyone lie down on the floor

If the fifth wheel plate is mounted directly to the frame then it's just a matter of drilling bolt holes in the frame so the plate can be slid forward or back. If you do that then the frame needs to be reinforced where the holes were drilled or the vehicle has to be relegated to light duty since putting to much weight in the back will cause the frame to bend and the truck to literally break in half.

Either case both are pretty easy jobs that can be done in a day with the right equipment.

As far as carrying troops, you can have the gun mounted higher and have a small step around the bedplate for the gunner to stand on, thataway people can sit in the back without a machine gun going off a foot over their head. The other solution is just make a reinforced camper shell to go on the bed. Just have to make it high enough for troops to be able to crouch/stoop to get in and out.
ZeeX10
ZeeX10

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:11 pm

imonaboat wrote:

that's the best way to go but we will also need to carry troops in those trucks so we need to devolop a configuration other than everyone lie down on the floor

If we ran our convoy's as gun truck lead, two troop carriers in the middle, and one gun truck at the rear we could get firepower, capacity, and speed without too much waste.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://kommando-nation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  imonaboat Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Admin wrote:
imonaboat wrote:

If we ran our convoy's as gun truck lead, two troop carriers in the middle, and one gun truck at the rear we could get firepower, capacity, and speed without too much waste.

i acgree in a perfect world we can do that but what happens the night before we push on a convoy a mortar take out our last remaining gun truck? all the trucks need to be capable of troop trans and mounting a weapon on them.
imonaboat
imonaboat

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeeX10 Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:24 pm

[quote="Admin"]
imonaboat wrote:

The troop carriers could also have a hatch in the top so someone with a LMG can engage hostiles that the front and rear can't get to for whatever reason. Assuming troop carriers will be enclosed.
ZeeX10
ZeeX10

Back to top Go down

Post  imonaboat Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:31 pm

imonaboat wrote:

well if we use hiluxes we need armor. the ANA/ANP get fuck royally in unarmored hiluxes. and i've seen hiluxes mounted with pkms at bagram. what i was thinking is we strip it down to the frame and drive train and build us a glorious infantry fighting vehicle worthy of the red army.

i dont mean to too my own horn here but if we did it like this we could build an armored cab that has both troop carrying capabilities and a turret. basicly we could build it up like hmmv's with frag 7 armor and the the jail bars. it would look nigger rigged as fuck bit it would keep us alive.
imonaboat
imonaboat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A picture i took at a Swedish junkyard, the truck is rusted to shit but the idea of a ring mounted mg over the passenger side seems viable, the gun can swing 360 degrees without impacting the amount of space in the box.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kolt.1911 Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 pm

What if we used a horse trailer?
Kolt.1911
Kolt.1911

https://facebook.com/kolt.tolleson

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 am

Were going to need to have some standardization with the vehicles, training our drivers on 8 different makes of transport trucks, let alone maintaining them would be a logistical nightmare, but at the same time we cant load a broken down BMP on to the back of a hilux. Basically the list Ive come up with details the vehicles we will need to for our operations in our new homeland, the vehicles are chosen based on a few qualities: ease of procurement, reliability, how well they perform their intended task, ease of repairs and maintenance, cost effectiveness, and ease of operation.

Light utility/scout vehicle
>Toyota Hilux
Technical
>Toyota Hilux
Light troop transport
>Toyota Hilux
Medium cargo truck
>URAL 375 and 4320
Fuel/water tanker
>URAL 375 and 4320
Heavy truck
KrAZ 255
Wheeled amphibious APC
OT-64 SKOT and BTR-60
Tracked amphibous APC
BMP series
MBT
Improved T-72
Tank recovery vehicle
VT-55
Multipurpose tracked carrier
MT-LB

Cant think of anything else at the moment but this is a general idea of how I see our vehicle fleet.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeeX10 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:57 pm

I haven't looked at the specs of those vehicles, but I'd suggest having all vehicles be diesel just because diesel engines aren't as picky for fuel, don't have the ignition system of gas engines and thus one less thing to break or troubleshoot, more reliable in the long run and it's easier to get fuel for the fleet with one fuel type needed for everything. Not to mention larger boats and ships use diesel, making it easier to barter stuff for pirate protection runs and our own water craft etc.
ZeeX10
ZeeX10

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 am

They are from this thread:

Posting them here in case the thread 404's before you guys get too see it.

EDIT:
Oh, and some info about Diesel Engines running vegetable oil

More EDIT:
Links about reliable vehicles (an anon in the thread claimed)

Last edited by Pendrake on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : THUS IT WAS ANNOTATED, THUS EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS)
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:17 am

Vegetable oil will most definitely be mixed into our diesel, also the only thing I dont like about using a lot of civvie vehicles is just the difficulty of adding applique armor.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:08 pm

AR mount you can buy, which by the picture reinforced my idea for a gun mount. I was thinking about the single support tube like in the diagram that ZeeX10 made on a canvas in lovely pastel watercolors and then graciously uploaded, and wondered about a tri-mount instead.

Brace yourselves for my idea....what could be a terrible idea.

>we would also need to make the grey dick piece able pivot for elevation of fire

Just barnstorming

EDIT:

Last edited by Pendrake on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thus 'twas annotated)
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:27 am

If our goal is to be more mobile, we may want to consider ATV's for fast-moving hits and reconnaissance. A passenger can still fire from the back of one, or the driver can POTENTIALLY fire with his offhand (unless he's a southpaw).

I'm also imagining a rear-mounted, short-barreled SAW on the rear rails of the ATV, with small stirrup-like places for the passenger to brace his feet against. Or if we go into something a little bigger, thing like this with a roll-bar could mount a gun (or the three operators not driving could lay down adequate fire:

Or something basic like a Gator, that has a bed, could facilitate a mounted gun:

Plus, we're talking as low as three grand for a new model ATV (or upwards of 12 grand for higher-end models).

Last edited by Pendrake on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stuff)
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am

I recently had a bit of a revelation, Africa is pretty well known for having a lot of single story mud huts as houses, the more developed areas have traditional buildings and bigger buildings are only found in cities.
I dont imagine we will be fighting in cities very much if at all, so that leaves mud huts and small 1-2 story buildings as the main obstacles in our area of operations.
So anyways Im going to cut to the chase here and greentext my idea
>nig-nogs see us approaching
>they take cover in a building
>we dismount our vehicles
>go in to clear building
>get into building
>intense close quarters firefight ensues
>we will most likely die because we left the safety of our vehicles

Now it doesnt take a whole lot of thinking to know that avoiding as much infanty combat as possible will save lives, avoiding close quarters combat will save even more, so heres what Im thinking:
We take a VT-55 or any other available armored engineering vehicle available and remove all external equipment i.e. crane, toolboxes, extra track, cargo box, blade leveling shoe (the thing sticking out of the dozer blade), etc., basically everything but the dozer blade, rear winch and earth anchor and the headlights, then we armor the fuck out of it.
So now we basically have the killdozer 2.0, massive armor plating on a tank with a dozer blade.
Now youre probably thinking "what the fuck does this have to do with close quarters combat?", well, its simple;
>nig-nogs see us approaching
>they take cover in a building
>we stop our vehicles
>kill dozer approaches building
>bullets wizz off of armor
>full throttle.jpg
>crash though building
>nig-nogs killed by collapsing building, others were crushed by the killdozer

Essentially if we remove the building, there will be no building to clear. a tank like this could effectively destroy all of their cover without risking our lives, plus it can still be used for its intended purpose.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 am

Just saw this on /k/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Admin wrote:Just saw this on /k/
hmm, I would hope to raise the suspension otherwise its relegated to roads only, no off reading.

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Pulled this from Operatorchan

Dox on modern Armor
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  NORhunter1873 Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Admin wrote:Were going to need to have some standardization with the vehicles, training our drivers on 8 different makes of transport trucks, let alone maintaining them would be a logistical nightmare, but at the same time we cant load a broken down BMP on to the back of a hilux. Basically the list Ive come up with details the vehicles we will need to for our operations in our new homeland, the vehicles are chosen based on a few qualities: ease of procurement, reliability, how well they perform their intended task, ease of repairs and maintenance, cost effectiveness, and ease of operation.

Light utility/scout vehicle
>Toyota Hilux
Technical
>Toyota Hilux
Light troop transport
>Toyota Hilux
Medium cargo truck
>URAL 375 and 4320
Fuel/water tanker
>URAL 375 and 4320
Heavy truck
KrAZ 255
Wheeled amphibious APC
OT-64 SKOT and BTR-60 make this btr 80 instead.
Tracked amphibous APC
BMP series
MBT
Improved T-72 i say we get upgraded t55's if we cant get a non exportmodel t72s
Tank recovery vehicle
VT-55
Multipurpose tracked carrier
MT-LB

Cant think of anything else at the moment but this is a general idea of how I see our vehicle fleet.

also, we can mount rpg's on every car and tank for better at ap capabilities
NORhunter1873
NORhunter1873

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Lately Ive become quite interested in small, sort of home built tanks, and after realizing that the U.N. and various governments will stop at nothing to keep us from obtaining armor we will pretty much have to build our own. At least to some extent, we should be able to import VT-55 recovery tanks under the guise of "humanitarian aid" (think rebuilding communities while under fire)
But even then we're pretty much stuck with designs like the tank destroyers of WWII, unless any of you guys can mill a turret ring out of sand and goats. As for how home made tanks comes into this, we may have an easier time simply building from the ground up, by using heavily sloped armor consisting of kevlar sandwiched between steel and a spall liner we would be virtually impervious to small arms and light AT fire, simple slat armor and chain link fencing could help defeat RPG's. The boat hull design will deflect blasts from under the vehicle. But here's where I run into a problem, How the fuck do you propel it? Two automotive engines hooked up to automatic transmissions and locking diffs cut in half is one option, but is heavy, inefficient, and prone to failure, or the WWII era Braked differential steering is by far the simplest, and would require only one salvaged Hilux to build.
The other single engine mechanical designs are simply too complicated to build for our purposes with the possible exception of Cletrac steering, so that leaves us with diesel-electric and hydraulic. I haven't really looked into diesel electric drive systems but I also haven't found any problems besides cost. Hydarulic is the drive of choice for excavators, bulldozers and other heavy equipment, it is also very efficient, we could probably replicate the Maus on top of an old Cat. but this comes at the cost of speed, excavators and bulldozers are very slow.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 pm

I'll take three.

Anyway, I was reading around and found this:

Armored Personnel Carriers might just be cargo trucks with side plating and some extra armor around the engine block.

Another place to buy jeeps and armor (this one inside the US):

On a side note, I found this interesting:

It's like corporate training.
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down