Free State of /K/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In CONUS Base

+3
Kolt.1911
Oderint Dum Metuant
Pendrake
7 posters

Go down

In CONUS Base Empty In CONUS Base

Post  Pendrake Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Old Missile Bases:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just remembered this. The prices are pretty fucking awesome (even if they might be a bit out of our current price range).
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

In CONUS Base Empty Re: In CONUS Base

Post  Oderint Dum Metuant Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 pm

With enough people who work decent jobs pooling together cash, 750k would be doable I think.

Oderint Dum Metuant

Back to top Go down

Post  Kolt.1911 Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:52 am

Guise please for Christmas
Kolt.1911
Kolt.1911

https://facebook.com/kolt.tolleson

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeeX10 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 am

There was one similar to that Atlas F site in NY that had the runway and all that inna mountains close to a game preserve and a mile or so from a stream. It was like 3mil though. Might be the same one, if it is then lol because I remember seeing it over 2 years ago.

The thing to remember with these things that haven't yet been converted is a lot have asbestos and other heavy metals that I don't think any of us have the knowledge in how to clean up properly.
ZeeX10
ZeeX10

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 pm

ZeeX10 wrote:
The thing to remember with these things that haven't yet been converted is a lot have asbestos and other heavy metals that I don't think any of us have the knowledge in how to clean up properly.

That's definitely a good point that I never considered.

If you guys were to pick a state for a base, where would you pick (besides Texas).
I was looking at North Carolina. It's a gun-friendly state (even open-carry in most parts), mild weather, it's got mountains (good training opportunities from both a PT standpoint and skills like abseiling/rappelling), a good amount of rivers (fishing for cheap food and hydro-generators), plus it has actual woods (useful for not being spied on by nosy neighbors). Higher elevations mean possible use of wind-turbines for additional power, plus I enjoy a place that has actual seasons (because Florida does not).

I just submitted this to the wife for review:

All dat trout, all dose tacos.
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Pendrake wrote:
ZeeX10 wrote:

If you guys were to pick a state for a base, where would you pick (besides Texas).
I was looking at North Carolina. It's a gun-friendly state (even open-carry in most parts), mild weather, it's got mountains (good training opportunities from both a PT standpoint and skills like abseiling/rappelling), a good amount of rivers (fishing for cheap food and hydro-generators), plus it has actual woods (useful for not being spied on by nosy neighbors). Higher elevations mean possible use of wind-turbines for additional power, plus I enjoy a place that has actual seasons (because Florida does not).

I will warn you guys, I fucking hate snakes, they scare the shit out of me.
If we end up in an are with lots of them I will most likely spend my summers indoors, or just go chimpout at the sight of a slithering mass of reptiles.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://kommando-nation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  imonaboat Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Admin wrote:
Pendrake wrote:
ZeeX10 wrote:

I will warn you guys, I fucking hate snakes, they scare the shit out of me.
If we end up in an are with lots of them I will most likely spend my summers indoors, or just go chimpout at the sight of a slithering mass of reptiles.

i know that feel bro but that's what God told john browning to invent shotguns for.
imonaboat
imonaboat

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 am

So my wife sent an email asking for more information about that property and another chunk of land there. Her mom owns a house in Sumter (SC) that is a two-floor, 6 bed, 3 bath, two-car garage on a small waterway near an Air Force base. Technically the mom and dad never divorced so they both own it. We'll likely end up with it (especially if she overdoses like we all hope she will). The logistics of that would be awesome, because it's only two hours from that property with all of the trout. We would have a large house near civilization, and thus average jobs, plus we would own the house, and have our stomping grounds only a few hours away.

Just letting you know the status of the property hunt. When I gt back to the states, touring properties is on the list of priorities (right after picking up an Arsenal AK and many sexings).
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

There are a bunch of threads popping up on /k/ about a place in Arizona. Anyone catch any of it?
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  HJH1990 Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah they're calling it the /k/ ranch. I was in the original thread Sat. night and dropped a line and left a link about this place, we picked up another 4 members or so. It's the classic /k/ wants to buy some land in the middle of nowhere and build a city. It'll probably turn out like every other venture proposed. Nothing. But they do seem quite organized, but that can obviously fall apart after the "honeymoon" phase is over, so to speak.
HJH1990
HJH1990

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 pm

HJH1990 wrote:Yeah they're calling it the /k/ ranch. I was in the original thread Sat. night and dropped a line and left a link about this place, we picked up another 4 members or so. It's the classic /k/ wants to buy some land in the middle of nowhere and build a city. It'll probably turn out like every other venture proposed. Nothing. But they do seem quite organized, but that can obviously fall apart after the "honeymoon" phase is over, so to speak.
Some of the happiest people I know are divorced, so I can live with a ruined honeymoon period. Keep the faith brother.
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  HJH1990 Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I have a feeling this one might actually happen.  There's been a thread every night on /k/ for the past 5 nights, they apparently have some funding in place and are currently deciding on a spot to buy.  I'm currently tied down by my house and whatnot, but I would love to visit once they actually get the place running.
HJH1990
HJH1990

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 pm

HJH1990 wrote:I have a feeling this one might actually happen.  There's been a thread every night on /k/ for the past 5 nights, they apparently have some funding in place and are currently deciding on a spot to buy.  I'm currently tied down by my house and whatnot, but I would love to visit once they actually get the place running.
Is this like the first time /k/ has ever done something that made it to the "funding stage"?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HJH1990 Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Well I don't follow every thread on /k/, but yeah, they have two (maybe more) guys who are ready to go with money.  They had found a location, in south east MO as far as I know, but that could've changed.  They have a cook, a couple ex military engineers and whatnot to help with construction, a medic, a couple farmers, and some "grunts".  All in all I think it was something like 45 people or so.
HJH1990
HJH1990

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Interdasting.

If anyone gets an email or forum of their project, please post it. They might be a good starting spot, or at least a powerful ally.
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 am

I've been toying with the idea of building a small cabin like outpost miles innawoods, I have a spot picked out but it is a lot of work, do you think building a small village of log cabins underneath forest cover would work for an experimental CONUS base?
We could probably find some land in any of the outdoorsy states like Oregon or Washington, the climate isn't too harsh and I like the idea behind cascadia.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Log cabins can be expensive...unless you do it all by hand:

An alternative to logs is cheap lumber:

If we're building our shit, I'd vote for simple concrete bunkers that we could build a foot into the ground and then bury with more dirt (concrete buildings are well-insulated, and the dirt surrounding the building would help too). I have experience pouring concrete and laying block, but we might want to rent a mixer, thus it could be a bit more costly...but only a little. I thought about digging a square the size of the building you want, run some rebar from the ground through where the walls will be, pour the footer (let it settle), then either pour one wall at a time using plywood sections or make a box of plywood to pour the walls around. The roof can be built as you see fit, whether you make some stairs up to a doorway or just have a ladder up to a hatch. Ventilation will need ot be planned through the roof as well, something simple like a few pipes that go out and allow oxygen inside. Now granted, unless you make a skylight there won't be much natural light, but I think a northern area will be more accomodating to this kind of bunker by being cool (instead of the sweltering southern heat and humidity). The ground and concrete would insulate the outside cold well, and some simple carpet or gym mats would keep some comfort inside the structure.
Once you have housing situated, we need ot think of other living considerations like hygiene. We could simplify things and have a central shower area (like a locker-room shower area) with stalls that can be separated by half-walls and shitters also.

EDIT:
Do we care about Zoning laws and building permits?
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Well you can buy a small concrete mixer for pretty cheap, hell I think I could get a used one for $50. The biggest problem I can see with a concrete structure is where two forms join, they have a tendency to leak or crack if not done right.
One thing I've noticed is that concrete basements are always ridiculously cold in my climate, not sure about a small concrete bunker with low ceilings though.

Also, I have never got a permit in my life, nor do I know any of my towns zoning laws.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Admin wrote:
The biggest problem I can see with a concrete structure is where two forms join, they have a tendency to leak or crack if not done right.
One thing I've noticed is that concrete basements are always ridiculously cold in my climate, not sure about a small concrete bunker with low ceilings though

That's what the rebar is for. It is placed in the footer as it's poured and runs up through the walls when they're added. If there's an air pocket (or a 'leak' as you called it), then you didn't have enough water in the 'mud.'

Switching to the temperature, you know that if you wanted to you could build your bunker to have an extra hole in the top for the addition of a chimney later. Maybe just run a long metal tube over where a sturdy wood-burning stove can one day be placed, or use a small $20 space heater. Wires would be run on the concrete walls, and then you could add wood paneling or some drapes over it if you wanted to liven your crypt up a little.

If flooding is a concern (because I've heard Washington gets a lot of rain), a base layer of some kind of waterproof material (whether sheet or spray) could be considered the foundational layer. Same thing for shipping containers, school buses or any other subterranean house, cover the outside in some kind of waterproof, rubber spray-on bullshit for great justice.

EDIT:
Reading up on the subject, creating the bunker in a hillside allows for the best of all worlds. You can have ventilation, windows, traditional doors (or garage/hangar doors), and flooding is more simple to contend with. It is still easily concealable, especially if trees or bushes are added to the area.

I just had a daydream of building a bunker like thirty feet into a hill, another slightly off to the side ten feet in, and then a third slightly off to the other side on the face of the hill, and then burying a school bus in the middle as a central tunnel. Then you just rip out all of the seats as well as the front of the bus off for ventilation/spare engine parts/thirty feet of runway to get ATV's at top speed before bursting from the hill for emergency evac. But along with that, bunkers on hill faces would make excellent vehicle depots.

SECOND EDIT:
This guy made a frame out of steel trusses and then used spray-on concrete to make the house. I have no experience with such voodoo, but if it's cheap, you could do the same with a simple rebar skeleton.

"American pioneers built storages and shelters underground. First they built them with rocks, logs, and straw. Later they started building them with reinforced concrete, but they all suffered from same problem. They were always dank and damp and had mildew growing inside them.
But what causes the condensation? South blames insufficient insulation. The earth’s temperature tends to stay about 55°. If you take warm humid air, bring it inside, and run it up against a wall surface that is 55° it will condense.
He says, “Any home that’s buried has to be super-well insulated. We have two reasons for insulating. Primarily, we want to contain heat by keeping it out or in. But in an underground home, we also want to keep the surface temperature of interior walls and ceiling approximately equal to the temperature of the air inside the structure. That takes a lot of insulation, but not insulating properly will invite condensation.”

“The only answer is to have enough insulation so that the interior surface temperature of the walls equals the temperature of the air inside the house. Three inches of urethane or six inches of Styrofoam should be used. And even with super-insulated walls, it’s sometimes necessary to dehumidify.”
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum