Free State of /K/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helmets and headgear

+2
Pendrake
Admin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Helmets and headgear Empty Helmets and headgear

Post  Admin Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 pm

We already talked about uniforms and body armor, But what about hats and helmets?
I'll cover helmets for now, and in a later post I'll talk about hats.

For combat operations we will definitely need head protection, the most common helmets readily available to civilians are cold war era steelpots, PASGT helmets, the MICH helmet, Maska 1sch, STSh-81 Sphera, SSSh-94 Sphera-S, and the
ZSh-1.

I have some concerns about using the PASGT as most bullets will almost always result in a catastrophic failure, the MICH helmet doesnt cover much of the head, and i just dont know if I can trust slavshit.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://kommando-nation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Helmets and headgear Empty Re: Helmets and headgear

Post  Pendrake Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Admin wrote:We already talked about uniforms and body armor, But what about hats and helmets?

For combat operations we will definitely need head protection, the most common helmets readily available to civilians are cold war era steelpots, PASGT helmets, the MICH helmet, Maska 1sch, STSh-81 Sphera, SSSh-94 Sphera-S, and the
ZSh-1.

I have some concerns about using the PASGT as most bullets will almost always result in a catastrophic failure, the MICH helmet doesnt cover much of the head, and i just dont know if I can trust slavshit.
We wear Half-Shells out here (because helmets get heavy).
Like these:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regardless, I don't think I've seen a helmet that is SURE to stop a 7.62, not even steel

Here are the same helmets against .45, and they mention the 9mm video:

In a lot of ways, the helmet is more of a psychological tool to convince soldiers they are slightly more invincible, and in modern times it's for insurance (by threatening to deny you Life Insurance if you die without wearing it). I'm pretty sure my issued helmets are only IIIA (meaning pistol and some shotgun rounds).

Weight is the largest consideration for helmets. Even strong necks get worn out after a day of supporting a helmet.

I vote for whatever is cheapest in this arena, because the protection level is all the same really, and it's more about shrapnel protection.

So whatever you think is best, I don't have much knowledge about styles and models of helmets (especially Russian and Slav shit).

Last edited by Pendrake on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added last sentence)
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  imonaboat Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Pendrake wrote:
Admin wrote:We already talked about uniforms and body armor, But what about hats and helmets?

ZSh-1.

We wear Half-Shells out here (because helmets get heavy).
Like these:

Regardless, I don't think I've seen a helmet that is SURE to stop a 7.62, not even steel

In a lot of ways, the helmet is more of a psychological tool to convince soldiers they are slightly more invincible, and in modern times it's for insurance (by threatening to deny you Life Insurance if you die without wearing it). I'm pretty sure my issued helmets are only IIIA (meaning pistol and some shotgun rounds).

Weight is the largest consideration for helmets. Even strong necks get worn out after a day of supporting a helmet.

I vote for whatever is cheapest in this arena, because the protection level is all the same really, and it's more about shrapnel protection.

So whatever you think is best, I don't have much knowledge about styles and models of helmets (especially Russian and Slav shit).

Damn you and all the cool gear they issue to special forces. why cant you 80 pounds of gear like a normal ground pounder? and no i'm not jealous
imonaboat
imonaboat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 am

Well, I looked into the slavshit helmets.

Sphera-S:
SSSh-94 is a newer version of STSh-81, which has been widely used by Russian troops and special forces in Chechnya & other 'hot spots'. It is designed to protect no less then 10dm2 of the total head area from all sorts of explosion fragments as well as 7.62mm Tokarev and 5.45mm PSM bullets and 6.35 & 5.6mm pistol bullets (Russian protection level - 2) . Sphera's three titanium ''sliding plates" allow the size adjustment from 56 (S) to upto 60 (L). These 3mm-thick plates are accomodated by special 'pockets' on each side of the head and the one which covers area from forehead and all way back to the upper neck. In order to reduce dynamic impact, the helmet has soft dampers on inside.

The ZSh-1:
ZSh-1 is a newer version of Maska-1Sch, which has been widely used by Russian troops and special forces in mid 90s. Unlike the all-steel Maska, ZSh-1 is made of aramid-based composit & protects the area of 14.5dm2 from all sorts of explosion fragments (upto 6.3mm diametre & 1.1g in weight at 500m/s) as well as 9mm Makarov bullets at 5m distace (Russian protection level - 1) . It comes in two basic adjustable sizes: 52-60 (S-L) and 58-64 (M-XL) in three colours: mil green, black and Urban camo. It can also be supplied with PRR-ready wiring & microphone and optional fragment-proof visor

Maska 1Sch:
is a well-known bullet-proof helmet made for and used by Russian Special forces including MVD's SOBR & OMON police units. This brand new steel helmet is designed to provide protection from 7,62mm TT / 9mm Makarov / 5.45mm PSM as well as other pistol & submachine gun rounds. The helmet reduces the dynamic impact caused by the bullet due to its soft dampers on inside. Maska is equipped with a removable 2mm thick steel or double-skinned bulletproof glass visor. Due to its weight, MASKA helmet is NOT designed for long periods of use, but rather for short periods of combat. Sizes adjustable from 56 (S) to 60 (L)

Copypasta from the site selling them because Im to lazy to summarize the other sites I looked at.

My vote is for the ZSh-1 and Sphera-S.
They both cover a massive area of your head, have decent protection, and the ZSh-1 has a huge face shield.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:09 pm

For my reference as well as others:

Russian Class 3 (7.62mm AK-47/ AKM & 5.45mm AK-74; velocity 725 / 900 m/s

Russian Class 2 (7.62mm Tokarev pistol, 415 m/s; 9mm Parabellum or UZI sub-mg, FMJ, 426 m/s, 5.45mm PSM bullets and 6.35 & 5.6mm pistol bullet [Roughly equivalent to IIIA]

Russian Class 1 (9mm Makarov pistol, steel core, velocity 325 m/s; firing distance - 5m) Level II / II-A (9mm FMJ Rem & .357 Magnum JSP Rem, 380 m/s; 9x19 Parabellum
[Roughly equivalent to II / II-A (9mm FMJ Rem & .357 Magnum JSP Rem, 380 m/s; 9x19 Parabellum]

Website Admin is referencing:

Helmets and headgear ZSh_1ZSh-1
Weight, kg 1.5 (1.8 W/visor)
Russian Protection Level, class 1
standalone: $503
w/ visor: $540

Helmets and headgear Sphera_94SSSh-94 "SPHERA-S"
Weight, kg: 3.5
Russian Protection Level: class 2
$277

So we could go with old slavshit, or we could have more modern gear:

Helmets and headgear Rabintex-ach-3-mich-2001-ballistic-iiia-military-attack-helmetRabintex ACH-3 MICH 2001
Weight (total): 2.2 lbs (1.00 kg)
Protection Level: IIIA
$250 (free shipping)
Warranty: Shell - 5 years; Suspension & Retention System - 2 years
(Large Size)

Helmets and headgear Botach_2223_661697241 MSA TC2000 ACH / MICH
Weight (total): 3.2 lbs
Protection Level: IIIA
$200
(Extra Large Size)

The reality is that we can get American-style helmets at a better ballistic rating than the cheaper Russian Sphera-S, at a cheaper price than the Sphera-S (especially when you factor in the hefty shipping sum of that website).

EDIT: Some hot Deals

IIIA MICH Helmet, Black, Large $155

$90

But these discount prices are all for LARGE helmets, so if you don't have a large head (and don't want to look like a child wearing papa's clothes), you might have to shell out the extra money for the Slav Shit or Western Gear

2ND/3RD EDIT:

found a couple listings for Medium Size helmets

$200

$200

4TH EDIT:
One more $200 (free shipping)

Last edited by Pendrake on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : pricing; then more pricing; then I erased some previous pricing for better pricing; last pricing I PROMISE)
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

I will probably wear a MICH helmet most of the time or a ZSH-1 because its lightweight, and have a Maska 1Sch with a full face visor for when the shit really hits the fan.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found a helmet on ebay.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Admin wrote:I will probably wear a MICH helmet most of the time or a ZSH-1 because its lightweight, and have a Maska 1Sch with a full face visor for when the shit really hits the fan.
As long as you have a plan, and know the gear requirements for your loadout depending on whatever your role will be, I can't ask for more.

Since this thread is about the head, we could discuss NBC Respirators while we're here.

I recommend caution when choosing gasmasks. The cheap ones (I'm looking at you $25 Israeli Youth Gas Mask) tend to be utter shit. I wouldn't spen any less than $100 on my gasmask (unless you find a steal on a model you KNOW is reliable).
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 am

Pendrake wrote:
Admin wrote:I will probably wear a MICH helmet most of the time or a ZSH-1 because its lightweight, and have a Maska 1Sch with a full face visor for when the shit really hits the fan.
As long as you have a plan, and know the gear requirements for your loadout depending on whatever your role will be, I can't ask for more.

Since this thread is about the head, we could discuss NBC Respirators while we're here.

I recommend caution when choosing gasmasks. The cheap ones (I'm looking at you $25 Israeli Youth Gas Mask) tend to be utter shit. I wouldn't spen any less than $100 on my gasmask (unless you find a steal on a model you KNOW is reliable).

I got a PMK, it fits my head pretty well, doesnt leak, the rubbers good, and it has good visibility.
It was pretty cheap at $40 but they now go for $75-ish.
Cant say I know much about the filters though, it take any 40mm soviet filters and 40mm to 60mm converters exist.

EDIT: Just priced them out, military surplus sites charge around $75 but ebay sells them as low as $16

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error, price check)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:39 am

I have GLORIOUS ww2 era Stalhelm repo.

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Canadian Empire wrote:I have GLORIOUS ww2 era Stalhelm repo.

"The German military went to great lengths to insure quality control of their helmets. Contemporary records dating to June of 1916, show one helmet out of a lot of 101 was tested for steel integrity on the rifle range during ballistic testing – multiple shots at a distance of 40 meters using an antiquated black powder 1871 11mm Mauser. If the inward dent exceeded 2mm or other failure occurred, a further 5 helmets from the lot were to be tested. If these failed, the lot was scrapped and the steel mill which supplied the ingot was required to overtake the costs for scrapping them."

But that was the originals. What is your reproduction made of? Do you know what company made it (so we can see if it has any real ballistic integrity)?

Also, why haven't you put cool pictures of it up on the 'pics' thread?

EDIT:
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Mine is a copy. I am suspecting it to be chinese. Only makers marks I found on it were 59, on the liner and ET68 on the shell. the folded edges of the steel on the inside are sloppy and probably dosent speak much for its quality. I also have a CF surplus gasmask from the 80s. unsure of quality.

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Canadian Empire wrote:Mine is a copy. I am suspecting it to be chinese. Only makers marks I found on it were 59, on the liner and ET68 on the shell. the folded edges of the steel on the inside are sloppy and probably dosent speak much for its quality. I also have a CF surplus gasmask from the 80s. unsure of quality.

This repro is 1.8mm thick.

1.8mm = .071 inches.

Level 3 steel plates are a quarter of an inch thick (6.35mm)

Just for reference.

I think 1.8mm might be enough for some smaller calibers and shrapnel, but MAN that ringing would be rough on your ears.

EDIT:
I've been looking for data on steel helmets for an hour now (like an asshole) and I completely forgot I already posted a video in this thread that showed a Vietnam-Era steel pot:

Last edited by Pendrake on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm a jackass)
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 pm

I am not fully sure that is the video you wanted to post....

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  ZeeX10 Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Anybody know how much truth there is to this video?

Also can the M50 gas mask being adopted by the US military use the standard NATO filters? If not why was that design chosen?

Last edited by ZeeX10 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeeX10
ZeeX10

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Ok, that tears it, Im wearing slavshit body armor.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 am

Canadian Empire wrote:I am not fully sure that is the video you wanted to post....

Hahahahahah....I apologize. I should have been paying better attention.

Because I was saying I had been looking for the specs of steel helmets, I meant to talk about this series of videos I posted earlier:
Pendrake's Dumb Ass wrote:

As far as west vs east for Body armor though, I still think STEEL is the best choice both for cost and efficiency:

ZeeX10 wrote:Anybody know how much truth there is to this video?
The fact that they refer to the Dragunov as "the best Sniper Rifle EVER" or w/e means they are going for pure political goals, and geared the video toward people who are firearm-illiterate. There are plenty of stories of U.S. Marines' helmets stopping AK rounds without the helmet being rated for that (of course none in the news, just stories from around the military and letters from home sort of shit). Unless we can find videos of independent testing of Russian gear, I wouldn't treat it as any better or worse than Western equipment, imho.

EDIT:
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 pm

I was looking at:

...and was seeing their mixed gear choice. It reminded me of something I read long ago regarding Russia producing sub-par gear (or at least their soldiers felt it was) and chose to purchase Western equipment out of their own pocket. In the photos, you'll notice MICH Helmets (as well as a Russian one), which suggests that that other video was just good business (which is normally built on deception).

EDIT:
Speaking of having to buy your own gear, France:

Another EDIT:
It mentions "The government provides ZSH-2 helmets, but they are too heavy to wear. In fact many types of equipment fighters buy themselves for their own money."
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:33 am

Pendrake wrote:I was looking at:

...and was seeing their mixed gear choice. It reminded me of something I read long ago regarding Russia producing sub-par gear (or at least their soldiers felt it was) and chose to purchase Western equipment out of their own pocket. In the photos, you'll notice MICH Helmets (as well as a Russian one), which suggests that that other video was just good business (which is normally built on deception).

EDIT:
Speaking of having to buy your own gear, France:

Another EDIT:
It mentions "The government provides ZSH-2 helmets, but they are too heavy to wear. In fact many types of equipment fighters buy themselves for their own money."
I thought I smelled a rat in that video, damn crafty slavs.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pendrake Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Apparently, more places than Russia produce modern, steel helmets:

IIIA

IIA

From what I've read, German Flektarn Kevlar Flak Vests are considered Lvl.II. Like these:

Supposedly you can remove the inserts from them, which means you can add more as well. The only real difference between II and IIIA is the number of plys of kevlar. In other words, you can double up on lower level armor to reach a higher ballistic rating like IIIA. These vests can also fit full size ballistic plates for rifle rounds (again, from what I've read).

Isolated Testing:
Pendrake
Pendrake

Back to top Go down

Post  HJH1990 Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I've been buying gear here and there, this stuff is for SHTF use at the moment but can certainly serve different purposes. I had bought a Czech M52 Helmet at a sporting goods store last year for $30. I use ski goggles with it and the band kept slipping up because of the smooth steel. I bought a can of that spray on rubber coating and some spray paint and went to town. The goggle's band no longer slips up the helmet so I think I did pretty good. I don't have a before pic unfourtanately.

Also got a plate carrier recently. I need to save up for some actual plates now but I've got the holster and a hydration carrier (in the mail) for now. I'll worry about pouches after I buy the plates.
Helmets and headgear 20130505120539
HJH1990
HJH1990

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Sup faggots im back.

I had an idea. We could manufacture simple steel helmets like the ones the new fangled cobra troopers use:

Helmets and headgear Helmet

Helmets and headgear Helmet

Helmets and headgear SC-100079-02E

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 am

If we could obtain an old steam press, then all we would need are the dies to make simple things like helmets and plates.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Canadian Empire Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 am

Admin wrote:If we could obtain an old steam press, then all we would need are the dies to make simple things like helmets and plates.
Plus liners and chin strap, not too complex of an operation.
I bet we could even sell them if we get production up.

Canadian Empire

Back to top Go down

Post  HJH1990 Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:12 pm

How much would it cost to make a steel version of the modern helmets the military is using? The ones all the mallninja fags on /k/ have. I can't think of what they're called.
HJH1990
HJH1990

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:33 am

HJH1990 wrote:How much would it cost to make a steel version of the modern helmets the military is using?  The ones all the mallninja fags on /k/ have.  I can't think of what they're called.
PASGT, MICH and FAST or something like that, cost per helmet could be like $5, but getting a press could be expensive. However, If we were to occupy a stamping plant in Detroit...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum